Saturday, February 16, 2013

February Trip - Part 2

These are the Facebook posts from the past few days:

February 13 - A (somewhat edited) note from Steve in San Gabriel:
I finally have some time to catch up on what is happening down here in Mexico. Brennan and I are at an internet cafe to try to contact our wives.
Yesterday we were ready to leave but heard an awful sound coming from the right front brakes so we decided to check them before we started on the six hour ride through the mountains. When we got the tire off, we saw that the brakes were totally gone so we had to replace them before we left. One of Daniel Silva's older sons, one of the twins, is a mechanic so we called him and he came and did the job. We were planning to leave at about 9:00 but didn't get left until about 11:30.
We finally got here about 5:15 and they were waiting for us. We had a service scheduled in Santa Maria at 5:00. We got there about 45 minutes late but that was no problem. We had a good service and really needed to leave immediately after the service because we had another at Mangales on our way home. However, that was not to be. One of the ladies in the church had prepared a special meal for "los Hermanos de los estados" and we went to her house to eat a meal. What a meal it was! We had a Cactus salad which was a bunch of different vegetables cut up and combined with cactus. That part was very good. Of course we had the normal black beans and tortillas too. The surprise was when they brought out the bowls with the main entree... "Lizard Roll!!" For real, the main food was mole de iguana. It was a first for all of the gringos and only the third time that Bro. Dolores had eaten iguana lizard. As long as you didn't eat the skin, it really wasn't too bad. But if you got a bite of the skin, it was impossible to chew it. It just got bigger and bigger. I did fine until I bit into what I realized later was the eyeball and then I suddenly lost my appetite for lizard. HA! We also had tole con maiz which was served as a hot drink and had chunks of masa floating in it. It wasn't really bad but it wasn't good either.
We actually had the tole at Mangales. That was the first time I have been to Mangales and there was a good group of people and we had a good service. Obviously, there are many people praying for me because the Lord is helping me to go way beyound myself and my abilities in translating for Tim. Dolores and Brennan help but basically I translate all day long every day and by the time night arrives I am worn out both physically and mentally. Today we ate breakfast at Hermana Eufemia's and then at one o'clock we have a service at 201 where I am to preach, then at 5:00 this evening we will be at the central church in San Gabriel for a service then we will finish up the day with a service at 7:00 at Las Palmas, followed by another supper at the house of one of the families in the town there. Tomorrow, we leave early and go to Bugambilias and leave from there to head back to Oaxaca City. If you post something on Facebook, ask everyone to keep praying that the Lord will continue to help. We have spent time each day talking with the pastors about how things are going in the church and about their plans for the future as far as evangelism and outreach is going. Those conversations tax my abilities big time.
Another thing I forgot to tell you is that we bought some grasshoppers at the market in Oaxaca and Brennan is officially a missionary. HA! We passed on the fried grubs though. The lady did try to sell me some grub salt. She told me that it really enhanced the taste of watermelon and other fruits. I told her that I preferred my fruit UN-enhanced. HA! HA!
We're all fine but somewhat tired. Keep praying for us.

February 15 - Steve, Bro. Keep, Pastor Dolores and Brennan had a good day in Oaxaca City. Some of them visited the Zapotec ruins of Monte Alban. This evening they enjoyed a wonderful meal with Oaxaca Pastor Bernardo Rivera Lopez and the Silva family. Tomorrow morning, Bro. Tim and Brennan catch a flight back to Cincinnati and Steve and Dolores will drive the 16 hours back to Saltillo. We appreciate your prayers as they travel.

February 16 – Bro. Tim and Brennan are safely back in Cincinnati with their families. Bro. Dolores is safely in Saltillo. Lord willing, Steve will be home shortly. Thank you for your faithful prayers.

No comments: